Sunday, May 27, 2012

A Little Design Project

I'm in the habit of folding the paper covers of disposable chopsticks into improvised chopstick rests.  Until last week, this was the standard model:


Which was adequate if you were careful, but it was not very efficient;  as the top was level and there were no guards at the ends, the chopsticks would often roll off the sides and end up on the table.

So last week, I experimented a little and came up with this new design:


What it lacks in beautiful simplicity, it more than makes up for in effective function.  The raised ends keep the chopsticks securely centered.  And I should be able to do something to make those supporting cross members less clumsy.  That will be my objective the next time I dine at a Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Thai restaurant.


No comments:

Post a Comment